What Led Me Here



I have always loved to travel-always. It began when I was young with short trips to the beach, family cruises, and springtime in Disney World. I LOVED it. As I grew up, my family and I began traveling more often and further away. I have explored huge cities and little towns, walked across New York City's crosswalks, biked around D.C.'s National Mall, and even received a missile threat in Hawaii! I've seen so many beautiful places and met so many wonderful people and I am forever grateful for these experiences.
But it wasn't until the about 2 years ago that I realized that I didn't like to just "go on vacation," I liked to travel, and it was apart of me. You could say I had gotten bitten by the travel bug- any free time I had I would research new places to go, memorize country flags (I know them all by now), and learn phrases in multiple languages. In class I would look out the windows imagining shopping in Marrakech's markets, participating in La Tomatina or the Running of the Bulls, floating through Venice in a gondola, and walking alongside Barcelona's beautiful architecture. I planned these dream trips for later- when I get out of high school, during college, after I "save up," sometime later.
Then I came across a speech and it inspired me. Why not now? Now is as good of a time as ever! From the moment the speech ended, I was determined to go. At the time I didn't know where to or how but I was set on going somewhere to do something extraordinary.
I researched high school programs abroad and language study camps but nothing seemed right. At some point, I came across AFS. AFS is where I realized I could do more than just travel to a beautiful place and see a fascinating culture, I could live in one, and be apart of it!
This simple idea was the beginning of something great, and I cannot wait to share it with you: my friends, family, and friendly strangers.

Thank you,

Autumn


I will be fundraising using my program's fundraising tool: Sponsor an AFSer. Sponsor an AFSer is an online fundraising tool provided by AFS-USA to allow potential contributors to make easy, secure, and non tax-deductible contributions to my AFS program fee.
To sponsor my AFS program, please click the Donate Now button to make a non tax-deductible contribution directly to my AFS program account.

Comments